In the Event of an Emergency

Longstanton Brook – Removing Blockages

Update January 2016

During the recent heavy rain several objects in Longstanton Brook started to cause obstructions which could have resulted in more flooding. Members removed the obstructions and called out South Cambs, who after a few hours attended and removed more blockages. Having voiced their frustration regarding the difficulty getting hold of anyone who could help, the following contact details were provided for the team supervisor:

Contact:  Chris Ball – 07776 495787 (24 hour)

During a Flood

Who to ContactWho To Contact

Emergency Contacts

Cambridgeshire County Council provided two handouts in September 2014 as a result of the flooding:

Emergency flood response contacts

Emergency Contacts


In the event of flooding, we recommend you contact the specified authorities involved in dealing with emergencies, which are generally as follows:


Responsibility: Co-ordinate the emergency services in a major flood incident and help with evacuation of people from their homes where it is necessary.

Contact: Dial 999 only in an emergency, dial 101 for non-emergency.

Fire & Rescue Service

Responsibility: Respond to all emergency incidents as required. Assist public with personnel and equipment where a need is identified. They may also pump out floodwater (contact your local service to ask about this. There may be a charge for this service).

Contact: Dial 999 only in an emergency, dial 101 for non-emergency.

The Environment Agency (EA)

Responsibilities: Issues flood warnings for flooding from rivers, the sea and ground water and deals with emergency repairs and blockages on main rivers. The Environment Agency is responsible for building, maintaining and operating flood defences and for issuing flood warnings to the public, other flood responding organisations and the media.

Contact: Flood line 0845 988 1188 service and Incident Hotline on 0800 80 70 60. (You can listen to recorded flood warning information for your area or speak to an operator for advice 24 hours a day).

South Cambridgeshire District Council

Contact: Drainage department 0345 0450063

Cambridgeshire County Council

Contact: Flood and Water Team 01223 715676

Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) Highways

Responsibilities: Places flood warning signs on roads, organises road closures and diversions and clears blockages on highway drainage systems. Work with the police, fire and rescue services and the Environment Agency to co-ordinate responses during severe flooding. Deal with road closures and disruption to social services. Investigate disruption caused by overflowing drains.

Contact: 0345 045 5200 (Option 3) or  0345 045 5212. Out of hours contact the police.

Anglian Water

Responsibilities: Deals with blocked main sewers, and investigates issues with overflowing sewers.

Contact: 03457 145 145 Lines are open 24/7, and customers should receive a reference number which they can quote in any future correspondence with Anglian Water.

Sandbag Distribution

For use in an emergency situation

Monday to Friday 08:00 -17:30:  call 03450 450 063

Outside these hours call the Environmental Health Duty Officer via the pager service on 01253 501055

Reporting a Problem